Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bumbershoot?! What's that?

Last weekend we also attending a large music festival in Seattle called "Bumbershoot." This is a three day long festival that features every kind of music you can imagine. Since we had the wedding on Saturday and Sunday, we were only able to attend on Monday. Next year, I vow to attend all three days (as long as the lineup is good!).

"Bumberchute" is apparently another word for umbrella. This signifies the wide range of groups that perform at the show. They changed the spelling of "chute" to "shoot," I guess to make it a more appealing looking word. Very strange!

Anyway, we had a fabulous time! We got to the Seattle Center where the festival was held and wandered around checking out the approximately 13 very different venues! We then went to our first concert, Paramore. Paramore is a younger group whose style would fit in the punk/emo category, in my humble opinion. I'm sure there's a more technical term for it. Next, we saw The Offspring. This concert was soooo much fun. I saw this band back when I was in high school, and I got a kick out of the 15 year-olds rocking out to their music. They probably weren't alive when Offspring hit it big! That makes me feel pretty old. Regardless, this band still has it and boy can they ROCK!

After that show, we grabbed some food and wandered around the various market vendors. As we made our way to the next show, The Flobots, we received a call from Brittney's co-worker who said the show was already full! Don't be too sad for us though. Brittney's friend knows Flobots' emcee, Jamie, and was able to get us in... Don't mind us, we are with the band! Their music is hiphop style, and the show was amazing! Very politically minded, the emcees wasted no time expressing their various views of the world and urging the crowd to use their god-given tools, whatever they may be, to make the world a better place. Wow... I highly recommend this show. I have uploaded a video of one of their songs, Handlebars. You can see it to the right on my YouTube list. Keep in mind, this video is being taken with my arms fully extended over my head with me on my tippy toes. By the way, this is the view I have at all concerts... bummer.
Having learned our lesson of almost missing that show, Brittney and I immediately went to the venue for Death Cab For Cutie (an amazing Seattle-based band) so that we wouldn't miss out. In the mean time, Gus attended one of his fave shows, Del Tha Funky Homosapien. Haha. The Death Cab show was fabulous as expected, and the ticket cost was more than worth the experience. Yay!

Bumbershoot Mainstage!






Crowd Shots!

The Offspring show
Remember, this is the crowd at 3:00pm...
Britt and Pat give their best "rock out" faces
Elaine, Nate, Ryan, Christen are also rockin' out.




These people performed on flexible poles... wild!

No comments: