Monday, June 1, 2009

GO SOUNDERS!

Gus and I were lucky enough to score some tickets through a co-worker of mine to attend last Saturday’s Seattle Sounders FC game (that’s our major league soccer team) vs. the Columbus Crew. Not wanting to stand out like sore thumbs, I went to the pro-shop on Friday and picked up some gear for us including 2 scarves, 1 horn, and 1 cowbell (see below).

On game day, we dressed up in our best blue and green, and headed down to the stadium, noisemakers in hand. As I had never before set foot in QWEST Field (where the Seahawks play), I was VERY excited! Everyone on the bus and on the street headed in the same direction we did, and EVERYONE was wearing some sort of Sounders paraphernalia. Much to our delight, our tickets were nearly at midfield and about 10 rows back from the field, close enough to see the players’ faces clearly. Next to us were the good friends of my co-worker, who were all determined to make sure we cheered loudly and participated in all the usual rituals.

The game was pretty exciting as well. When I wasn’t gawking at the tons of signs and flags in the crowd or staring at the beautiful view of downtown, I was bugging Gus with millions of questions about what was going on. I realize that there is a lot of injury faking in soccer (bad actors!) and tons of singing/chanting. The game ended in a 1-1 tie, with several yellow cards issues and one player getting ejected. The one goal the Sounders did score was so much fun! The stadium erupted: the crowd went nuts, horns went off, silver/green/blue confetti came pouring from the roof, and the cheers intensified. It really made me forget that I had been standing in one place for nearly 2 hours watching the game (my feet did remind me the next day!).

It’s really too bad that tickets to these games are so hard to come by. They are sold out until September. I would probably go to a couple more games if the opportunity were presented.

Have a good week!














No comments: